Thursday, January 17, 2008

''WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS??

January 4, 2008

I had just finished the breakfast dishes and was sitting down to watch the news with my DH, when everything went black! Since we live in an area with a lot of trees, the sun doesn't penetrate our living room until about 8:00 a.m. Thank goodness we have a wood stove and it gives off quite a bit of light, plus keeps us toasty warm. DH and I scrambled to find candles and lanterns. You may have read about the wild wind, rain and snow storms that slammed into California. We were very lucky as our power was only off 34 hours. Many in this area are just now getting their power restored.

While we were in the dark, so to speak, I cooked meals on the top of the woodstove . And, since we have a propane water heater, we were able to take showers, etc. Thank goodness!!

It's at times like this that we realize just how much we depend on our electricity. We are really a spoiled generation when it comes to luxury living. I have so much more appreciation for my grandparents who made do with so much less...

I thank God each day for all I have and pray that He will continue to remind me of all of my blessings. The main brunt of the storm in our area (we are at an altitude of 2700 ft.) and in the valley below was in the wind and rain. Many trees crashed into homes and power polls snapped like twigs. Several days after the initial storm we did get some snow, but not enough to do any real damage.

I had this blog ready to send quite a few days ago, but for some reason the computer wouldn't take my username or password. I even had Mrs. Mac trying to help me. Evidently, they started a new program at the beginning of the year and I had to create a new password, etc. Hopefully, this time I'm doing it correctly. By the time this gets out, it will be old news.....Just wanted you to know I'm still alive and kicking.

That's all for this time - may you be blessed with health and happiness in this new year.

Tiffy

3 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Hey Tiffy ... I'm glad you have your power back on! What are you and Pop up to this weekend? It's cold outside ... so I'm going to stay home as much as possible. Missing you all the way from Idaho!

xxx Buffy xxx

Pat said...

We tend to take blessings like electricity for granted till we're without it for any length of time! I'm glad your up and running again, and all is well, 34 hours is a long time to be without.
I look forward to reading your posts - I will be by again soon!
Stay warm, dry and electrified!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.