Thursday, October 11, 2007

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

When I was trying to decide what to title my blog, it suddenly occurred to me that using my nickname "Tiffy" might work. My daughter and I have had nicknames for each other for some time now. We use them mainly when speaking to each other on the phone. Oh yes, she's "Buffy", as well as Mrs. Mac.

It all started years ago when I would call her, disguising my voice and stating it was Mrs. Bufforfington calling. I believe that was a name used on the old Jack Benny show when a certain snooty woman would supposedly drive up in her limo and talk to Jack. Anyway, Mrs. Mac shortened it to Buffy and started calling me Tiffy. Thinking about names brought to my mind a couple of others - namely Pauline from The Perils of Pauline. I remember seeing that movie in the late forties; I believe Betty Hutton played the part. Another name I thought of was Tillie the Toiler who was evidently a secretary in the funnies in the 1920's. Perhaps I should have called myself Tillie, as I was a secretary all the years I worked outside of the home. But, that's another story for another time.

Of course, DH has had a few nicknames for me over the years. The longest lasting one was Whistle Britches!!! Where he ever got that one I don't know. I have to remember that DH was a real country boy when I met him and I was a city girl. So, some of his terminology was "Greek" to me. After almost 40 years of marriage though I'm finally able to decipher some of his slang and word combinations. As an example: one day while looking out our dining room window he stated, "I've got to fill that beeder". I knew right away he meant the bird feeder. He has a habit of putting two words together or shortening sentences and the scary part is that I understand him.....But, that's what happens when two people live together for a long time. You can almost finish each others sentences.


With blessings to you and yours until we meet again.

Tiffy B

5 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Wart Hog was another term of endearment he used ... So, that's where the Bufforfington name came from. I thought you used to have neighbors with that last name. You really need to come out and 'play' more often, Whistle Britches! And leave a comment or two ;) Tell Pop the gig is up with his country folk talk ... we've finally got all his lingo figured out!

Pat said...

Well Buffy and Tiffy, I think both of you are swell! Doesn't that sound like a line from an old movie?!
Our family has lots of "terms of endearment" names for each other, it just makes life a little sweeter!

Constance said...

In our family, because I fancy myself a trivia expert, I have been christened,
"Woman Who Knows Much About Nothing!"

I guess that's better than woman who knows nothing about much!
Connie

Margie said...

i loved this post!!

Mrs. Mac said...

Well, Tiffy,

Now that a half a month has rolled by and your back from your vacation, better write a post about your adventures and worn out passenger "floor brake" and hang on tight handle of your car ... hint, hint...