Sunday, September 30, 2007

ADVENTURES OF A TEENAGE ELEVATOR OPERATOR

The following story was suggested by my daughter who found the experience of my first job rather funny, so here goes.......

It was the summer I turned 14 and we were living in a small tourist town in Colorado. Someone mentioned there was a job opening at the local hotel/spa, so I went in and applied. It was for an elevator operator for their small, French cage-like elevator. Throwing caution to the wind, I accepted the position.

I was told by the manager that I would need a uniform (black dirndl skirt and white peasant blouse). About 3 or 4 days into the job, I was coming down from the top floor when quite an updraft occurred. There were no inside doors on the elevator, only the individual doors at each floor. My skirt began to billow and snagged on something jutting out from the wall area of one of the floors. Before I realized what was happening, my skirt started to rip at the hemline and continued to do so up to the waistband. When the doors opened on the lobby level, there I stood holding my skirt together and hoping there weren't too many visitors waiting to board my car.

The manager had explained to me during my training that all but the top floor had to be judged where exactly to stop (using a hand lever). He said the elevator would automatically stop at the top floor, but suggested I judge that floor also. After about two weeks on the job, with a car load of people, I decided to let the auto-stop do its work. We arrived at the top floor and continued going up until we crashed into the roof! We were about 2 -1/2 feet past the floor, so I pried open the door, jumped down and got help for my passengers. Needless to say, there were some tense moments until they were rescued.

It was shortly thereafter that I was let go, as the manager explained state law prohibited anyone under 16 from operating mechanical equipment. Thus ended my exciting, but short lived occupation as an elevator operator!!!

Thanks to any and all of you who have left comments on my posts. I really appreciate hearing from you. Until next time, have a good week and my God bless you and yours.....

Tiffy

6 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

Let go as in fired? Oh Tiffy, what an adventure ;) How 'bout the time you took me to work (at age 4 or 5)one Saturday and firmly said, "Don't press that little button on the wall." And what did I do??? but fell into it and summoned the fire department from across the street.

xxx Buffy xxx

P.S. glad you are back to posting :)

Constance said...

Wow! I don't think I could ever top that!
Connie

Pat said...

I give you credit for even applying for that job - I've always had an elevator phobia! I see where daughter gets her sense of humor-and spunk!!

Mrs. Mac said...

Come out ... come out ... where are you hiding???

Margie said...

that was funny!!!

Pat said...

I hope your not stuck in an elevator...we need a new post!!!